Sunday, February 20, 2011

1 Month



To blog or not to blog...Stacy would kill me for not doing a baby book, but I just know myself too well and know that I would never keep up with writing all these things and milestones down.  So I decided to start this blog, even if no one but Mark or I ever read it.


Time is already going by way too fast.  Henry was one month old yesterday.  He is changing before our eyes everyday and everyday we fall more in love with this little man.


Labor and deliver were perfect...not that I have anything to compare it to, but I can't complain.  Henry was pretty content staying in my tummy so I was induced at 41 weeks to the day.  Mark and I checked into Williamson Medical Center at 5:30 am and after about 12 hours of pitocin and 35 minutes of pushing we met our beautiful son at 6:58 pm.  He weighed 9 lbs 1 oz and was 22 inches long.  I immediately felt so much love and joy that couldn't be contained.  Very strange and amazing all at the same time.






The first two weeks are somewhat of a blur.  Breastfeeding was probably one of the most challenging things I have ever done in my life.  I wanted to give up many times, but am so glad I didn't...now it seems almost funny that it was ever that hard.  I know I cried every time something made me the least bit sad or happy.  I was worried I was going insane, but thankfully Mark and my girlfriends was always there to remind me I wasn't.  Getting a nightly warm bath with lavender candles was such a treat during those two weeks.  Then almost like a switch, the day after Henry was 2 weeks old I was back to my old self and we were on a pretty good routine.


So Henry...what are you up to these days...


You weighed 9 lbs 5 oz at your one week check up.  Not sure how much you weigh right now, but we go back to the dr. on Wednesday so we will find out.






You eat every 3 hours almost on the dot without being woken up during the day (sometimes a little more).  At night you will go for 4-4.5 hours.  You stay awake after every meal for about 45 minutes - 1 hour except for the nighttime feeds.  After those I swaddle you right up and you doze back off.


You are sleeping in a bassinet beside our bed.  It was initially hard for me to sleep through all the little noises you can make, but now I am not so paranoid.




You have been to work with me every day since you were 5 days old.  I consider this one of the biggest blessings of my life to be my own boss and be able to take you to work.  You are such a good baby.  My office now looks like Babies R Us and Stacy and I have to be careful not to trip over all your gear.  Stacy or my mom (your BeBe) will watch you while I am with patients.  Once again another blessing for me to know you are so loved and taken care of while I am working.


You sometimes do what your dad and I call "your trick".  You coo after you sneeze almost like you are cheering for yourself.  You started doing it as soon as we got home.  We love it so much that we don't immediately say bless you because we are waiting for "your trick".


You hated your first real bath.  Of course I wanted to record it.  You screamed the entire time so ever since then I have continued to sponge bathe you on the kitchen counter.  I hope one day you will love bath time.  I know I do!


You hate being cold at all.  Sometimes when we are changing your clothes you will come unglued...especially if I have just washed my hands and they are cold.


You love to swing and watch the mobile over the swing.  For your first two weeks you loved your bouncy seat, but now you would rather swing.


You are just all that I lived for, though I didn't know why.  In the last month you have taught me so much and not just about how to take care of you.  You have taught me how to slow down and be in the moment. Something I definitely struggled with in the past.  It is hard to believe that you are finally here.  I prayed every night for a happy and healthy baby when I was pregnant with you and when I realize how lucky I am I could just cry.  Now I pray that your dad and I are always the definition of unconditional love and that you know how amazing you are EVERY day of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment